Thursday, December 13, 2007

Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Cake

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is that Dryers again sells its pink peppermint ice cream. All I need is a gallon of that, a jar of hot fudge sauce, a box of Lactaid and I'm good for the whole month of December.

I saw a yummy looking ice cream cake in December's Cooking Light Magazine, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of making the cake from scratch. So I copied their idea, but made my own non-low-fat ice cream cake. Fabulous! (I had a hard time sharing with my 6 year old - I just didn't think he would appreciate it sufficiently.)




Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Cake

1 box of your favorite chocolate cake mix
1 jar hot fudge sauce
3 1/2 cups Dryers Peppermint Ice Cream -softened
4 cups Cool Whip
1/8 tsp peppermint extract
1 candy cane, crushed

Prepare chocolate cake according to directions on box. Use 8-inch round pan. Bake & cool.


When cakes are cool, slice off top to flatten cake a bit. Make sure you cut it fairly level. (Be sure to eat the parts you cut off.) Wrap each cake in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours.



While cakes are freezing, line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Spread softened ice cream into pan, making sure it's fairly level. Cover and freeze until firm (2-4 hours).

In a bowl, combine Cool Whip with peppermint extract. Stir just until combined. Place in fridge.

Time to assemble cake! Remove frozen cakes from freezer, but leave ice cream layer in freezer until it's needed. Microwave hot fudge just until it's spreadable. If it's too hot it will melt ice cream.

Place a dollop of hot fudge on the middle of your cake plate (keeps the cake from sliding as you assemble. Unwrap one cake layer and place (bottom side up) on plate


Cover with a layer of hot fudge - almost to the edge of the cake.

Remove ice cream layer from freezer and unwrap. Place on top of cake and fudge. Drizzle a layer of hot fudge on top of ice cream until it is mostly covered. (more than I did in this picture)

Top with final cake layer, bottom side up. Spread peppermint Cool Whip over top and sides of cake, covering as best you can. Sprinkle top with crushed candy cane.


Freeze until ready to serve. When ready to serve, remove cake from freezer and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Run your knife under hot water for 30 seconds to heat it up. Shake off excess water and slice cake - like buttah! As a serving option, you can drizzle each slice with bit more hot fudge - makes a nice presentation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I just innocently came to this blog looking for a recipe for dinner tonight, and voila, I find this yummy little treat. I think this shall be my dinner instead. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is the best things I've heard all day. Peppermint, ice cream, and cake, YES PLEASE!

Unknown said...

I'm totally going to make this for Christmas Dinner! Dave wanted Peppermint Icecream for dessert and this looks even better.

Anonymous said...

I am going to be so popular with my sisters-in-law on Christmas. Thank you, Andy!

Christa said...

I made this yummy dessert a couple of days ago and it was a hit!! The only suggestion I have is to add more chocolate fudge. I used about half a container. I loved it though. Great recipe Andy!!