Friday, May 9, 2008

Tater Tot Casserole

In my search for various ways to eat red meat, I was reminded of a childhood favorite of mine: Tater Tot Casserole. I asked my mom about this a month or so ago and she told me that she had made it so much when we were little that she was STILL sick of it. Ha ha. It's not a tough recipe, and quite child-friendly. For a 9x13 size, just double the recipe.



Tater Tot Casserole
(makes an 8 or 9-inch square casserole)

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 can of cream of mushroom (or celery) soup
1/4 cup sour cream or 1/4 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
bag of frozen tater tots

In a skillet, brown ground beef. When beef is nearly done, toss in diced onion and cook until meat is done. Remove from heat, stir in soup and sour cream (or milk). Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed. Spread in square casserole dish. Top with grated cheese and as many tater tots as can possibly fit (in one layer). Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, until bubbly and hot in the center.

3 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

Well, the picture does look good doesn't it? It was a real staple when the kids were little and our funds were little too.

Jared and Erin said...

I am so glad you have this on here. My roommate in college used to make this and I never got the recipe. I loved it and it's so easy!

Unknown said...

Make it healthier with ground turkey. Omit the sour cream/milk. Empty the cream of mushroom soup into a bowl. Fill that can with frozen peas. Stir peas into soup for the middle layer. Use crowns instead of tots. Such a staple growing up!