Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fuel-Up Fun Bars


I'm a fan of quick, kid-friendly treats. I noticed this recipe on the back of a package of Peanut Butter Cookie Mix. They're called Fuel-Up Fun Bars and they didn't last long at our house. We even shared two with the neighbor's kids and they came back the next day, not asking to play, but asking for more cookie bars.

At first I thought that the addition of crushed granola bars in this recipe was strange, but they add a wonderful crunchy dryness to the cookie part of the bar. Also, I wouldn't skip the mini M&Ms - I can't imagine these treats without them.

I couldn't find a link to this recipe on the Betty Crocker website, so I'll type it up here since I'm not sure how long they'll be printing it on the back of their Peanut Butter Cookie Mix Packages.




Fuel-Up Fun Bars

1 pouch Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie mix
Water, vegetable oil and egg called for on cookie mix pouch
**6 Nature Valley pecan crunch or oats n' honey crunchy granola bars, finely crushed
1 bag (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
1/2 cup miniature candy-coated chocolate baking bits

Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, water, oil, egg and crushed granola bars until soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom of pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.

Immedately sprinkle chocolate chips over bars. [I placed bars back in oven for 1 minute at this point.] Let stand 2 minutes to soften chocolate; spread chocolate over bars. Sprinkle with baking bits. Refrigerate about 30 minutes until chocoalte is set. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Makes 24 bars.


**6 granola bars = 3 packages from a 8.9-oz box, since there are two bars in each package. To crush granola bars, I placed two at a time in a ziplock bag and wacked it with my rolling pin. You'll get smaller bits if you're currently feeling any frustration or aggression. Go ahead and take it all out on the helpless little granola bars. Or - you could get your child to help you with this step.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

These sound and look so good! The only cookies Sophia will eat are peanut butter cookies so this is a great variation--and the M&M's will help too! Thanks and I hope all is well with new baby! I'd love to see more pics!