Friday, July 24, 2009

Strawberry Sorbet


I love the fresh flavor of this sorbet. I could eat gallons and gallons of this stuff. The only downside to this recipe is that you have to plan ahead a little bit - the sugar/water mixture needs to boil and then cool, and the sorbet needs to chill at least 1 hour before freezing.

I usually make the sugar/water mixture at breakfast, then stick it in the fridge. Then when I'm back in the kitchen for lunch, I mix up the rest of the sorbet and put it back in the fridge. While we eat dinner I'll pour the sorbet into the ice cream maker and let it freeze.











Strawberry Sorbet

1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 quart strawberries (remove stems)
4 T lemon juice

In a medium saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Stir, and if sugar is not yet completely dissolved, reduce heat and simmer until it is. Transfer to a bowl, and let it cool completely.

Place strawberries and lemon juice into a blender or food processor. Process until completely pureed, 1-2 minutes. Press the strawberry puree through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds. Combine seedless strawberry puree with the cooled sugar syrup, and add corn syrup. Chill at least 1 hour.

Freeze according to your ice cream maker instructions. Mine only gets the sorbet to a soft-serve texture. I transfer it to a lidded container and freeze it for later.

1 comment:

Lee and Sharon said...

I finally got around to trying this recipe and it is delicious. It actually froze pretty well in my ice cream freezer and I love the full strawberry flavor.